Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date: 2002-06-07 22:27:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> I know I have discouraged it because I think shell script language has a
> good toolset for those applications. I have fixed all the spacing
> issues.

My point is that it is not, for the reasons that I listed. Handling
spaces is a small part of one of the several problems, there are problems
with newlines, tabs, commas, slashes, quotes -- everytime you call sed or
read you lose one character.

> What language where you thinking of using? C?

Yes, that way we can share code (pg_dumpall<->pg_dump, initdb<->postgres),
use the established internationalization facilities, and use libpq
directly in create* and drop*.

> Also, it seems Win32 doesn't need these scripts, except initdb.

The utility of these programs is independent of the platform. If we think
pg_dumpall is not useful, then let's remove it.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net