Re: Concerns about this release

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concerns about this release
Date: 2001-12-18 16:52:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> I kind of second your opinion here. I also have my doubts that the
> default is not as well tested as the option.

By that logic, we could never make any new releases, or at least never
add any new code. "New code isn't as well tested as old code" is an
unhelpful observation.

FWIW, I trust lazy VACUUM a lot *more* than I trust the old VACUUM code.
Read the tuple-chain-moving logic in vacuum.c sometime, and then tell me
how confident you feel in it. (My gut tells me that that logic is
responsible for the recent reports of duplicate tuples in 7.1.*, though
I can't yet back this up with any evidence.)

> Plus, aren't there some isses with the non-locking vacuum?

Such as?

> Are all the PostgreSQL developers really, really, sure that all the new
> features in 7.2 are ready for prime time?

See above. If you like, we'll push out the release date a few years.
Of course, the code won't get any more ready for prime time just by
sitting on it.

I think that we've very nearly reached the point where further time in
beta phase isn't going to yield any new info. Only putting it out as
an official release will draw enough new users to expose remaining bugs.
We've been through this same dynamic with every previous release; 7.2
won't be any different.