Re: Concerns about this release

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "mlw" <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concerns about this release
Date: 2001-12-19 02:24:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Are all the PostgreSQL developers really, really, sure that all the new
> > features in 7.2 are ready for prime time?
>
> See above. If you like, we'll push out the release date a few years.
> Of course, the code won't get any more ready for prime time just by
> sitting on it.
>
> I think that we've very nearly reached the point where further time in
> beta phase isn't going to yield any new info. Only putting it out as
> an official release will draw enough new users to expose remaining bugs.
> We've been through this same dynamic with every previous release; 7.2
> won't be any different.

Just for the record, I *never* use a x.x version of anything, especially
Postgres. I'll wait until at least 7.2.1 before running it on a production
server...

Not saying that there's anything wrong with 7.2 - just that there's _always_
interesting problems (look at the changelogs for 7.1.1 - 7.1.3)

Chris