Re: Configuring synchronous replication

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Date: 2010-09-24 14:13:13
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 16:01 +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> I'd like that we now follow Josh Berkus (and some other) advice now, and
> start a new thread to decide what we mean by synchronous replication,
> what kind of normal behaviour we want and what responses to errors we
> expect to be able to deal with in what (optional) ways.

What I intend to do from here is make a list of all desired use cases,
then ask for people to propose ways of configuring those. Hopefully we
don't need to discuss the meaning of the phrase "sync rep", we just need
to look at the use cases.

That way we will be able to directly compare the
flexibility/complexity/benefits of configuration between different
proposals.

I think this will allows us to rapidly converge on something useful.

If multiple solutions exist, we may then be able to decide/vote on a
prioritisation of use cases to help resolve any difficulty.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com