Re: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-13 13:06:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 08:44 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Since you brought it up, although your participation is greatly
> appreciated and is significant you are not 5 people and last I checked
> EDB was sponsoring 5 people to contribute to this community

I am not personally 5 people, whatever the rumours :-). Yet 2ndQuadrant
is more than 5 people. All of us believe in contributing to PostgreSQL,
and not just in code.

My original point was that EDB's contributions seem to have dropped
significantly in recent months, which is as much a concern to me as
Greenplum's contributions. Mentioning 2ndQuadrant in that context wen't
really material to my point.

> > What can
> > we do to actively encourage participation from all companies?
>
> I know that JoshB and I are constantly speaking with companies to get
> them to contribute (code and otherwise).

Many others do this also, but my concern is with how we can create the
right conditions under which contribution is a positive thing for the
contributor, not just a charitable, and therefore a more optional, act.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com