Re: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-12 15:44:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 06:37 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 00:05 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:

> > The bottom line is that Greenplum is fading farther and farther from
> > Postgres community involvement, as far as I can tell. :-(
>
> I agree with that assessment. I don't think it's a desirable or
> unchangeable outcome, which is why I initially refused to attend the
> recent EnterpriseDB-sponsored developer meeting unless Greenplum people
> were also invited. I would like to see people encourage their
> participation. When the project allowed one company to sponsor the
> meeting it made a huge error, especially when the project had no need
> for the funding.

I find this line of thought bogosity and I thank EDB for sponsoring
lunch for the event. I am also pretty sure knowing Dave, Denis and Andy
that if I had said, "I would like to sponsor part of the meeting" they
would have let CMD do so.

As much as I like to carouse about EDB the fact is they are a fair
community player and they try very hard to make sure they don't step on
toes.

> It sent the wrong message and I noted that Truviso were
> not represented either, on the day. I am worried about contribution

I guarantee you they could have been, should they wanted to be.
Considering that GreenPlum and Truviso are not EDB competitors, CMD is.
CMD was well represented.

> levels from all companies and also note that EnterpriseDB's real
> contributions to the community of late are not significantly larger than
> 2ndQuadrant's, now you've spurred me to think about the topic.

I find when one feels the need to quantify the amount of contributions
they are making against another, they are feeling somewhat inadequate
about their own participation. Which is one of the reasons I think you
don't see EDB and CMD comparing themselves at all.

Since you brought it up, although your participation is greatly
appreciated and is significant you are not 5 people and last I checked
EDB was sponsoring 5 people to contribute to this community and they are
doing so. Including:

Pavel
Dave
Bruce
Heikki
Greg Stark

So I would consider your point pretty much moot, unless of course your
only argument is lines of code.

> What can
> we do to actively encourage participation from all companies?

I know that JoshB and I are constantly speaking with companies to get
them to contribute (code and otherwise).

Joshua D. Drake