Re: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-13 13:30:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:21:39AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > Well PostgreSQL.Org is not a non profit organization
>
> That is news to me. Who gets the financial profits then? Why are we
> registering in various countries as a non-profit?

Legally speaking, under ICANN's rules, postgresql.org is delegated to
Marc Fournier as a representative of PostgreSQL, Inc.

Joshua may be referring, however, to the PGDG, the legal status of
which is at least not plain. I believe that ambiguity is by design.
It's trivially true that the PGDG is the collection of all the
individuals that have ever contributed. Whether that collection
constitutes an organisation is something that's never been clarified.
I rather hope we never have the opportunity for some jurisdiction to
attempt to clarify it.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104