Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout
Date: 2006-11-30 22:24:57
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 12:05 -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> > > I've put up

I think it looks great - Latest Releases text doesn't line up for me
though, not sure why.

> > > I'm not happy about posting planetpostgresql on the front
> > > page. That gives random individuals unchecked (until after
> > > the fact) access to post on the front page. Seeing that
> > > Devrim has in fact in the past resisted making
> > > planetpostgresql.org into planet.postgresql.org to keep the
> > > efforts unrelated, that seems contradictory. What is the
> > > rationale for making this change?
> >
> > The rationale is that there is a lot of good articles posted there
> > that would get promoted to the frontpage. Such as the PWN,
>
> I already post the PostgreSQL Weekly News to www.postgresql.org as I'm
> publishing it. I'd be delighted to have it get a more prominent place
> than 3 clicks down. Right now, you can see it by the blindingly
> obvious ;) method of clicking on Community, then finding the link
> marked PostgreSQL Weekly News in the text, and then choosing the top
> link.

It wasn't my idea to put blogs on the home page, note, but I think its a
great idea and I wish I'd thought of it. Look at the top blog: a great
article by Josh about PostgreSQL performance. What could be more useful?
More importantly, will make people come back to the site once they see
the whole community in action.

PWN has long been a favourite of mine, Treat or Fetter versions :-)
It deserves its place on the front-page.

All of these things deserve space on the front page and Magnus' new
design allows that without significantly changing the look/feel/design.

> > but that's just one of many examples. It also "brings life" to the
> > page because there is a list of content that actually changes
> > reasonably often.
>
> Right.
>
> > While it's certainly not "random individuals", you definitly have a
> > point in that it's unchecked.
>
> True. We could have certain "categories" get on the page, and others
> not. For example, I have a category called PWN. I'm not sure how
> portable that is, though.

The fact that some people want to blog about their lives is nice, but
reasonably this can be done on other sites... we've always managed to
maintain a pleasant but impersonal atmosphere on PostgreSQL project. I
don't see the need to have my or anybody else's lives recorded anywhere
that has the PostgreSQL name but that's probably just me being a stuffy
Brit.

--
Simon Riggs