Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout
Date: 2006-11-30 22:41:04
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 22:24 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> I think it looks great - Latest Releases text doesn't line up for me
> though, not sure why.

I get some alignment issues on the bottom three blocks
(new/events/planet) but I must admit it looks pretty good.

> > True. We could have certain "categories" get on the page, and others
> > not. For example, I have a category called PWN. I'm not sure how
> > portable that is, though.
>
> The fact that some people want to blog about their lives is nice, but
> reasonably this can be done on other sites... we've always managed to
> maintain a pleasant but impersonal atmosphere on PostgreSQL project.

I think it is unreasonable to expect people to keep seperate blogs.
Except for my family, my life *is* pretty much PostgreSQL. Thus many
things that don't seem relevant to some, may seem relevant to others.

I, as a geek + business person, will blog very directly about topics
that do not to you seem relevant because I am not talking about TRUNCATE
or FOREIGN KEYS. However, to a person trying to derive a profit from
PostgreSQL, they may be relevant.

Also it is relevant that my daughter got the flu, because it is likely
that I now may get the flu and thus will effect the things that I do for
the community for a short time. It is also relevant because Darcy's
daughter also got the flu, and thus he can empathize with the current
situation (this example is just and example btw).

Life is personal.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/