Database Selection

From: "IvoD" <gordion(at)quick(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Selection
Date: 2006-04-24 07:29:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I created two web database applications - first one is the company news
system (as part of the company web pages), second one is the company
main data system (part of the company pages, too). All (unfortunately)
the M$ environment - 2003 server.

The first app is managed from the web interface only, the second app is
managed by database client win32 app (created by PowerBuilder, std
client-server approach, ODBC). For the second app I need to create the
web presentation interface now (no data modifications, heavy sql
queries :-( ).

The first app contains only small amount of data (10 database tables,
max 100 rows in the largest table) but the second app contains large
number of tables, more than 100000 rows in major part of tables, very
sensitive company data, requires sophisticated and intelligent db
engine strategies for queries, ...

For the first app I wanted to use MySQL, for the second one I wanted
the Sybase SQL Anywhere. But now I am in doubt. I'm playing with the
idea to substitute the Sybase SQL Anywhere by the PostgreSQL or MySQL.
I need all the SQL decorations (stored procedures, stored functions,
triggers, declarative referential integrity (foreign
keys), ...) I'm playing with the idea to unify the database environment
(use only one db engine and two databases, not two different db engines
for two databases), too.

Is the MySQL or (preferably-IMHO) PostgreSQL database engine stable,
robust, safe, ..... in order to use it for these company very sensitive
data, for heavy data mining app, ... ? Is it safe to unify the database
engine types and use only one engine for these two apps/dbs? Can I rely
on the MySQL and/or PostgreSQL engines? Do you suggest me to use (one
of/both) these two db engines for the main company data presentation
database?

Best Regards

IvoD