Re: Database Selection

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Database Selection
Date: 2006-04-24 20:12:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On 24/4/2006 16:59, "IvoD" <gordion(at)quick(dot)cz> wrote:
> For the first app I wanted to use MySQL, for the second one I wanted
> the Sybase SQL Anywhere. But now I am in doubt. I'm playing with the
> idea to substitute the Sybase SQL Anywhere by the PostgreSQL or MySQL.
> I need all the SQL decorations (stored procedures, stored functions,
> triggers, declarative referential integrity (foreign
> keys), ...) I'm playing with the idea to unify the database environment
> (use only one db engine and two databases, not two different db engines
> for two databases), too.

If you want the full SQL decorations then you will want PostgreSQL.

The newest version of MySQL has started to implement stored proc's - as
this is a new addition to MySQL I wouldn't count on full support just yet.

> Is the MySQL or (preferably-IMHO) PostgreSQL database engine stable,
> robust, safe, ..... in order to use it for these company very sensitive
> data, for heavy data mining app, ... ? Is it safe to unify the database
> engine types and use only one engine for these two apps/dbs? Can I rely
> on the MySQL and/or PostgreSQL engines? Do you suggest me to use (one
> of/both) these two db engines for the main company data presentation
> database?

PostgreSQL is considered stable and is used in production environments.

If you look at the history of PostgreSQL you will find that the development
at Berkley started with Ingres and after the code was used to start
Relational Technologies/Ingres Corporation the Postgres project was born.
A later version of Postgres was used by Illustra Information Technologies
which later merged into Informix and is now owned by IBM.
This gives you some some indication of the quality - two commercial
databases have been started with PostgreSQL code.