Re: BUG #1231: Probelm with transactions in stored code.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1231: Probelm with transactions in stored code.
Date: 2004-08-26 02:46:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> I believe it sees the one that was valid in the snapshot as of the
> beginning of the function.

Actually, the problem is that it can see *both* that row and the updated
row; it's a crapshoot which one will be returned by the SELECT INTO.

The reason this can happen is that we're not doing SetQuerySnapshot
between commands of a plpgsql function. There is discussion going way
way back about whether we shouldn't do so (see the archives). I think
the major reason why we have not done it is fear of introducing
non-backwards-compatible behavior. Seems like 8.0 is exactly the right
version to consider doing that in.