Re: BUG #1231: Probelm with transactions in stored code.

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #1231: Probelm with transactions in stored code.
Date: 2004-08-26 08:23:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:

> Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
>
>>I believe it sees the one that was valid in the snapshot as of the
>>beginning of the function.
>

> Actually, the problem is that it can see *both* that row and the updated
> row; it's a crapshoot which one will be returned by the SELECT INTO.

Confirmed, if the last select is:

select count(*) into a from test where id=1;

this return 2. There is a space for a new bug considering that if the
table have the unique index on id that select must return 1.

> The reason this can happen is that we're not doing SetQuerySnapshot
> between commands of a plpgsql function. There is discussion going way
> way back about whether we shouldn't do so (see the archives). I think
> the major reason why we have not done it is fear of introducing
> non-backwards-compatible behavior. Seems like 8.0 is exactly the right
> version to consider doing that in.

If my 2 cents are valid I agree with you, what I don't totally agree is why
consider this bug as a *feature* in previous 8.0 version.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola