Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Date: 2003-01-31 18:20:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 07:22, Christopher Browne wrote:
> But it's not /nearly/ that straightforward.
>
> If you look at the downloads that MySQL AB provides, they point you to a link
> that says "Windows binaries use the Cygwin library."
>
> Which apparently means that this "feature" is not actually a feature. Unlike
> PostgreSQL, which "is run under the Cygwin emulation," MySQL runs as a native
> Windows application (with Cygwin emulation). Apparently those are not at all
> the same thing, even though they are both using Cygwin...

I'm confused as to whether you are being sarcastic or truly seem to
think there is a distinction here. Simple question, does MySQL require
the cygwin dll's (or statically linked to) to run?

If the answer is yes, then there is little question that they are as
"emulated" as is the current PostgreSQL/Win32 effort.

Care to expand on exactly what you believe the distinction is? ...or
did I miss the humor boat? :(

Regards,

--
Greg Copeland <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>
Copeland Computer Consulting