Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, current-users(at)netbsd(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
Date: 2003-01-31 18:13:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

>On Thursday 30 January 2003 14:02, mlw wrote:
>

>>Forgive my stupidity, are you running PostgreSQL with the data on an NFS
>>share?
>>

>Yes, sorry. PostgreSQL is running from the local disk but the data is on the
>mounted drive.

I'm not sure, I guess it could work, but NFS is a pretty poor file
system. There are always issues with file locking across various
platforms. I recall reading about mmap issues across NFS a while ago
(forget the platform, sorry). Depending on the NFS server, there may be
problems there. The NFS client may also have isses with locking, fsync,
and mmap.

If possible, look for a network block device protocol. The file level
NFS is probably inadequate for PostgreSQL.