Re: pgsql: Merge catalog/pg_foo_fn.h headers back into pg_foo.h headers.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Merge catalog/pg_foo_fn.h headers back into pg_foo.h headers.
Date: 2018-04-10 16:58:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Hm. I wonder if we don't also want NO_TEMP_INSTALL, like the doc/src/sgml
>> makefile. I don't know whether "make check" could be useful in a PGXS
>> build, but certainly that recipe for making a temp install isn't gonna
>> work.

> If I understand correctly, PGXS.mk already forbids a "make check" if
> PGXS is defined. And it seems that postgres' contribs rely on
> including PGXS.mk, setting NO_PGXS and doing a "make check", so
> NO_TEMP_INSTALL shouldn't be needed.

Well, the question that's bothering me is how come "make check" in
an external build doesn't try to execute the temp-install rule before
printing that error message. Experimentation shows that it doesn't,
but it sure looks to me like it should: there's nothing conditional
about the "check: temp-install" dependency in Makefile.global. And
none of the three if-guards in the temp-install rule itself should
prevent this, so what is preventing it? I don't see it.

For this reason, I thought that adding NO_TEMP_INSTALL would be a good
safety factor in case somebody changes/breaks whatever unobvious
thing is keeping this from failing, and so I went ahead and did it.