Re: Large writable variables

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Large writable variables
Date: 2018-10-18 20:17:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17/10/2018 23:51, Andres Freund wrote:
>> __builtin_types_compatible_p(const char *, char *) returns false (0) for me.
>
> Right, that's why I added a const, inside the macro, to the type
> specified in the unconstify argument. So typeof() yields a const char *,
> and the return type is specified as char *, and adding a const in the
> argument also yields a const char *.

Yeah, that works. The C++-inspired version also allowed casting from
not-const to const, which we don't really need.

I'd perhaps change the signature

#define unconstify(underlying_type, var)

because the "var" doesn't actually have to be a variable.

Attached is my previous patch adapted to your macro.

I'm tempted to get rid of the stuff in dfmgr.c and just let the "older
platforms" get the warning.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Apply-unconstify-in-more-places.patch text/plain 3.8 KB