Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
Date: 2016-12-23 16:39:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

22.12.2016 21:18, Claudio Freire:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Anastasia Lubennikova
>> <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
>>> make installcheck-world: tested, failed
>>> Implements feature: not tested
>>> Spec compliant: not tested
>>> Documentation: not tested
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I haven't read through the thread yet, just tried to apply the patch and run tests.
>>> And it seems that the last attached version is outdated now. It doesn't apply to the master
>>> and after I've tried to fix merge conflict, it segfaults at initdb.
>>
>> I'll rebase when I get some time to do it and post an updated version
> Attached rebased patches. I called them both v3 to be consistent.
>
> I'm not sure how you ran it, but this works fine for me:
>
> ./configure --enable-debug --enable-cassert
> make clean
> make check
>
> ... after a while ...
>
> =======================
> All 168 tests passed.
> =======================
>
> I reckon the above is equivalent to installcheck, but doesn't require
> sudo or actually installing the server, so installcheck should work
> assuming the install went ok.

I found the reason. I configure postgres with CFLAGS="-O0" and it causes
Segfault on initdb.
It works fine and passes tests with default configure flags, but I'm
pretty sure that we should fix segfault before testing the feature.
If you need it, I'll send a core dump.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company