Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum: allow usage of more than 1GB of work mem
Date: 2016-12-23 19:54:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Anastasia Lubennikova
<a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'll rebase when I get some time to do it and post an updated version
>>
>> Attached rebased patches. I called them both v3 to be consistent.
>>
>> I'm not sure how you ran it, but this works fine for me:
>>
>> ./configure --enable-debug --enable-cassert
>> make clean
>> make check
>>
>> ... after a while ...
>>
>> =======================
>> All 168 tests passed.
>> =======================
>>
>> I reckon the above is equivalent to installcheck, but doesn't require
>> sudo or actually installing the server, so installcheck should work
>> assuming the install went ok.
>

> I found the reason. I configure postgres with CFLAGS="-O0" and it causes
> Segfault on initdb.
> It works fine and passes tests with default configure flags, but I'm pretty
> sure that we should fix segfault before testing the feature.
> If you need it, I'll send a core dump.

I just ran it with CFLAGS="-O0" and it passes all checks too:

CFLAGS='-O0' ./configure --enable-debug --enable-cassert
make clean && make -j8 && make check-world

A stacktrace and a thorough description of your build environment
would be helpful to understand why it breaks on your system.