Re: Report the number of skipped frozen pages by manual VACUUM

From: Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)openscg(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report the number of skipped frozen pages by manual VACUUM
Date: 2017-03-10 06:58:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/6/17 8:34 PM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> I don't think it can say "1 frozen pages" because the number of
> skipped pages according to visibility map is always more than 32
> (SKIP_PAGES_THRESHOLD).

That's just an artifact of how the VM currently works. I'm not a fan of
cross dependencies like that unless there's a pretty good reason.

BTW, I think there's already a function that handles the pluralization
for you. IIRC it's one of the things you can add to an ereport() call.
--
Jim Nasby, Chief Data Architect, OpenSCG
http://OpenSCG.com