Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity

From: "Duncan Kinder" <dckinder(at)mountain(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "Charles Tassell" <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity
Date: 1999-10-19 18:03:37
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

There appears to be some difference between the RPM Postgres distribution
and what you would expect from compiling the binaries.

I don't know what the problem was, but rather than try to figure the thing
out, I finally removed the RPM's downloaded and compiled according to the
documentation.

That was not necessarily easy and - coming from a Windows background - not
all of the directions made sense. But it seems to have worked so far.

However, there is absolutely no reason - none why the RPMs should not
precisely - precisely - match the suggested configuration set forth in the
documentation. It should start and work first time, every time. No
problem, no hassle. 'rpm -Uvh 'whatever'' - and that's it. Just like
apache. I no longer even attempt to install the RedHat postgres. I just
download and install. I do not know what the problem with the rpm's is,
but it is too annoying for me to bother figuring it out.

RPMs are for people who do not know how or are not comfortable with
compiling and installing Linux distributions. It defeats their purpose to
expect these people to jump through hoops while installing rpms. The rpm
should do all - repeat all - the work for them.

And it is not responsive to state "Oh, you forgot to squiggle the
doohickey."

Regards,

Duncan C. Kinder
dckinder(at)mountain(dot)net