Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: Duncan Kinder <dckinder(at)mountain(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity
Date: 1999-10-19 15:36:36
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 11:03:37AM -0700, Duncan Kinder wrote:

> RPMs are for people who do not know how or are not comfortable with
> compiling and installing Linux distributions. It defeats their purpose to
> expect these people to jump through hoops while installing rpms. The rpm
> should do all - repeat all - the work for them.

Perhaps you should take that up with whomever maintains the .rpm
files. I never touch them. I don't even use the debian packages, because
I prefer to compile and install my own tools for production use. Since I
don't see them on ftp.postgresql.org, I assume that they don't belong
directoy to the Postgres team...

Postgres, to me, is just as easy to "make install" as any other
common application: Apache, PHP, or various mailers. Configuration
tends to be easier--there is only one hba.conf file and then you
need to create a user. After that, you are in a SQL environment.

--
Adam Haberlach | "Faster isn't always better,
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com | but slower never is."