Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity

From: "Aaron J(dot) Seigo" <aaron(at)gtv(dot)ca>
To: "Duncan Kinder" <dckinder(at)mountain(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "Charles Tassell" <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity
Date: 1999-10-19 17:26:56
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

hi all...

> I don't know what the problem was, but rather than try to figure the thing
> out, I finally removed the RPM's downloaded and compiled according to the
> documentation.

hm. for a RDBMs though, performance is an issue. this isn't a an end-user GUI
we're talking about, its a grid-iron piece of back end software. pre-compiled
will almost NEVER give you good performance, even if it goes in smoothly...

> That was not necessarily easy and - coming from a Windows background - not
> all of the directions made sense. But it seems to have worked so far.

this i agree with. completely. which is why i suggested last week a complete
reworking of the administration functions... to make these functions a seperate
program (that also did compiling and installation, btw) that could have a GUI
front end put on it... it also looked seriously at restructuring the security
policies...

unfortunately, i'm not a pgsql developer (yet), too busy at work right now..
arg. but maybe one day i'll get in there... and then fix some of this stuff
along with the other great developers already up to their elbows in byte-grease.

> RPMs are for people who do not know how or are not comfortable with
> compiling and installing Linux distributions. It defeats their purpose to
> expect these people to jump through hoops while installing rpms. The rpm
> should do all - repeat all - the work for them.

while i agree with this concept in theory, an RDBMS of commercial quality
should really not be managed by someone not comfortable with systems
administration. there are other products out there for them that probalby do
what they are looking for better.

> And it is not responsive to state "Oh, you forgot to squiggle the
> doohickey."

ROFL... yes. and don't forget to twist the little green fangle three times to
the right, but only after flanging the morgoon.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Sys Admin