Re: Pl/Java - next step?

From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "HORNYAK Laszlo" <hornyakl(at)inf(dot)elte(dot)hu>
Subject: Re: Pl/Java - next step?
Date: 2004-02-22 19:08:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm in Sweden. Some time tuesday evening (european time) perhaps?

Why is your work not made public somewhere? The project on sourceforge is
inactive it seems. Do you have a CVS setup privately?

> Not to minimize your work, as I think it is great, but this particular
> use-case I consider to be overkill for pl/java. It is probably easier to
> use pl/pgsql if all you want to do is calculations.

Not to minimize your work, but if the only thing you want to do is to send a
request to a servlet, that is very easy to do with Pl/Perl ;-)

Seriously, when I say calculations, I mean any computed value that doesn't
involve database accesses. It could for instance be an implementation of a
soundex algorithm comparing two values or something similar like graphic
image matching. Regardless if such things can be implemented in pgsql or
not, the fact that there's a bunch of downloadable Java code out there that
can be used, with little or no effort, is enough to motivate my statement.

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren