importing dbase files daily

From: "Juliet May" <jmay(at)speark(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: importing dbase files daily
Date: 2002-08-20 17:58:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm going to need to add data daily from a dbase file to my postgresql database. I'm trying to come up with the simplest method possible.

My idea was to have the user use pgAdmin II with the database migration wizard to copy the files into postgres and then run an insert query off of the newly updated tables. The way the migration wizard works is it first drops the table then re-creates it and imports the data.

I was thinking I could set up a rule or a trigger that would cause the insert query to fire instead of having the user manually start it?

Am I way off base in the whole way I am setting this up? Would there be an easier way?

I'm trying to change a system and if I require the user to do too much I will face resistance and the project will be stalled. I will be working with five different locations/users who will all be updating data daily.

Thanks for any help you can give me.