Re: Re: 4 billion record limit?

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>
To: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>, "brad" <brad(at)kieser(dot)net>
Cc: "Chris Jones" <cjones(at)rightnowtech(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: 4 billion record limit?
Date: 2000-07-28 12:43:29
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

There are many PostgreSQL supported operating Systems that run on 64-bit
platforms -- virtually every popular Unix except OpenBSD comes to mind :-)

There is something else that many aren't considering. In every application
I've ever written to use any database I use ID numbers of my own making,
always they're integer. 4 billion is the limit on any integer field, not
just the OID so there are limitations everyone should realize when using any
integer for any kind of record identification purposes..

-Mitch