Re: Re: 4 billion record limit?

From: "Keith G(dot) Murphy" <keithmur(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: 4 billion record limit?
Date: 2000-07-28 16:48:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Mitch Vincent wrote:

> There is something else that many aren't considering. In every application
> I've ever written to use any database I use ID numbers of my own making,
> always they're integer. 4 billion is the limit on any integer field, not
> just the OID so there are limitations everyone should realize when using any
> integer for any kind of record identification purposes..

That's an excellent point, especially considering that *sequences* use
an integer to hold their max_value, which is by default 2,147,483,647.
You cannot go larger than that, either. I guess it's constrained to be
positive. So OIDs give you more potential unique values than sequences,
far as I can tell.