Re: safety of vacuum verbose analyze on active tables

From: "Wim Aarts" <w(dot)aarts(at)dsdeurne(dot)nl>
To: "Ed Loehr" <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>, "Andrew Snow" <als(at)fl(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: "Pgsql-General(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: safety of vacuum verbose analyze on active tables
Date: 2000-04-18 05:48:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> > > on a 24Gb

Any
> > > safely. So go
> >
> > > There have been reports of problems (corruption, etc.) when trying to
do
> > > this. See the archive for a discussion along these lines a few
> > > months ago.
> >
> > You've got to be joking.
> >
> > Is the table locking mechanism in Postgresql broken??
>
> I have no idea (but I doubt it). I simply recall this question being
asked
> a few months back and a couple folks said something like "Hey, we tried
> this and had problems." That was with 6.5.* or earlier. Maybe one of
> those folks can pipe up again. I couldn't find them in the archive...
>
> Regards,
> Ed Loehr

I've had problems with vacuum on postgres 6.5.3
The didn't occur in 6.3.2 or 7.0beta1.

The problems occured after many revoke and grant statements on the database.
And after and/or during that running a vacuum twice. The second would start
saying something like:
NOTICE: Rel pg_class: TID 294/3: InsertTransactionInProgress 20065 - can't
shrink relation
NOTICE: Rel pg_class: TID 294/4: InsertTransactionInProgress 20065 - can't
shrink relation
NOTICE: Index pg_class_relname_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1615) IS NOT
THE SAME AS HEAP' (1587)
NOTICE: Index pg_class_oid_index: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (1615) IS NOT THE
SAME AS HEAP' (1587)
VACUUM

But it works in 7.0

Cheers Wim.