Re: Connecting website with SQL-database.....

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)admin(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Manuel Lemos <mlemos(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connecting website with SQL-database.....
Date: 2000-04-18 11:42:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Titus Brown wrote:

> -> >I have got a form on my site, that can be filled in by visitors. I want the
> -> >results automatically being written in my sql database, does anybody know
> -> >how to do this???

There is more than one way to do it!

> -> Whatever platform you use, PHP is the solution for your problem. It is one
> -> of the most powerful Web programming languages that is able to interface
> -> natively with dozens of types databases including PostgreSQL. The good part
> -> is that it is not tied to any Web server and it is Open Source.

So is perl...for example, or Zope...

> For a good discussion of some of the alternatives (centered around but
> not limited to AOLserver) you can visit photo.net/wtr/, the Web/db
> bulletin board.
>
> Not that I recommend anything in particular for your specific situation,
> but it's always a good idea to get an idea of what's out there.
>
> cheers,
> --titus

Right!

My 2 cents:

I use Perl DBI::DBD with the "singing, dancing" CGI module. I'm happy with it.
If you'd like, visit my site: www.opensystems.org and the links will assist
you in downloading the various perl modules. There are samples there too.
(DBI and CGI).

A DBI mailing list exists as well:
http://www.isc.org/dbi-lists.html

If you want to skip using the CGI module and code HTML directly into a
perl-DBI script, but need some examples: download SQL Ledger from Dieter
Simader's page: www.simtax.ca/acc
This is a small but robust accounting package that uses Perl and Apache.

Lots of luck!
Tom

North Richmond Community Mental Health Center
Thomas Good, MIS Coordinator tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056
North Richmond Systems PostgreSQL s l a c k w a r e
Are Powered By: RDBMS |---------- linux