Re: excel to postgres

From: Tom Cook <tcook(at)lisa(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: excel to postgres
Date: 2000-04-18 03:49:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Andrew Perrin - Demography wrote:

> Sure, VB works, as would perl with DBD::ODBC module. I've been using that
> technique for porting a database from access to postgres, and it should
> work equally well with excel-based ODBC connections. Disadvantage to the
> original poster is that it does require a Windows machine to read the
> Excel file.

Probably if users are saving to an excel file to be put into access and
then shipped of to a postgres instance then there is a windows machine
around. So write a function to save to the database instance, and then
alias it to a menu item 'Save to Database' or something like that.

[snip]
> > This would have to be doable in VB, wouldn't it? Doesn't it have some sort
> > of ODBC functionality? I'm no expert here (never used the language) but
> > I'd have thought it'd have to be in there...

Cheers
--
Tom Cook - Software Engineer

"Christ died for sin, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God."
- 1 Peter 3:18

LISAcorp - www.lisa.com.au

38 Greenhill Rd. Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville, SA, 5034 Sydney, NSW, 2000

Phone: +61 8 8272 1555 Phone: +61 2 9283 0877
Fax: +61 8 8271 1199 Fax: +61 2 9283 0866