Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL
Date: 2017-03-03 20:49:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Oleg,

On 2/28/17 2:55 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> Attached patch is an implementation of SQL/JSON data model from
> SQL-2016 standard (ISO/IEC 9075-2:2016(E)), which was published
> 2016-12-15 and is available only for purchase from ISO web site
> (https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html
> <https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html>). Unfortunately I didn't
> find any public sources of the standard or any preview documents,
> but Oracle implementation of json support in 12c release 2 is very
> close
> (http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/ADJSN/json-in-oracle-database.htm
> <http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/ADJSN/json-in-oracle-database.htm>),
> also we used https://livesql.oracle.com/ to understand some details.

<...>

> This is last commitfest for current release cycle - are you sure, so is
> good idea to push all mentioned features?

Implementing standards is always a goal of the PostgreSQL community, but
this is a very large patch arriving very late in the release cycle with
no prior discussion.

That the patch proposed follows a standard which will not be available
to the majority of reviewers is very worrisome, let alone the sheer
size. While much of the code is new, I see many changes to core data
structures that could very easily be destabilizing.

I propose we move this patch to the 2017-07 CF so further development
and review can be done without haste and as the standard becomes more
accessible.

Regards,
--
-David