Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL

From: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL
Date: 2017-03-07 09:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 11:49 PM, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> On 2/28/17 2:55 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >
> > Attached patch is an implementation of SQL/JSON data model from
> > SQL-2016 standard (ISO/IEC 9075-2:2016(E)), which was published
> > 2016-12-15 and is available only for purchase from ISO web site
> > (https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html
> > <https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html>). Unfortunately I didn't
> > find any public sources of the standard or any preview documents,
> > but Oracle implementation of json support in 12c release 2 is very
> > close
> > (http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/ADJSN/json-in-
> oracle-database.htm
> > <http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/ADJSN/json-in-
> oracle-database.htm>),
> > also we used https://livesql.oracle.com/ to understand some
> details.
>
> <...>
>
> > This is last commitfest for current release cycle - are you sure, so is
> > good idea to push all mentioned features?
>
> Implementing standards is always a goal of the PostgreSQL community, but
> this is a very large patch arriving very late in the release cycle with
> no prior discussion.

We discussed this in Brussels, but I agree, the patch is rather big.

> That the patch proposed follows a standard which will not be available
> to the majority of reviewers is very worrisome, let alone the sheer
> size. While much of the code is new, I see many changes to core data
> structures that could very easily be destabilizing.

I don't know when the standard will be publicly available.

> I propose we move this patch to the 2017-07 CF so further development
> and review can be done without haste and as the standard becomes more
> accessible.

I wanted to have one more good feature in 10 and let postgres be on par
with other competitors. SQL/JSON adds many interesting features and users
will be dissapointed if we postpone it for next two years. Let's wait for
reviewers, probably they will find the patch is not very intrusive. We
have a plenty of time and we dedicate one full-time developer for this
project.