Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON in PostgreSQL
Date: 2017-03-03 21:53:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi Oleg,
>
> On 2/28/17 2:55 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >
> > Attached patch is an implementation of SQL/JSON data model from
> > SQL-2016 standard (ISO/IEC 9075-2:2016(E)), which was published
> > 2016-12-15 and is available only for purchase from ISO web site
> > (https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html
> > <https://www.iso.org/standard/63556.html>). Unfortunately I didn't
> > find any public sources of the standard or any preview documents,
> > but Oracle implementation of json support in 12c release 2 is very
> > close
> > (http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/ADJSN/json-in-
> oracle-database.htm
> > <http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/ADJSN/json-in-
> oracle-database.htm>),
> > also we used https://livesql.oracle.com/ to understand some
> details.
>
> <...>
>
> > This is last commitfest for current release cycle - are you sure, so is
> > good idea to push all mentioned features?
>
> Implementing standards is always a goal of the PostgreSQL community, but
> this is a very large patch arriving very late in the release cycle with
> no prior discussion.
>
> That the patch proposed follows a standard which will not be available
> to the majority of reviewers is very worrisome, let alone the sheer
> size. While much of the code is new, I see many changes to core data
> structures that could very easily be destabilizing.
>
> I propose we move this patch to the 2017-07 CF so further development
> and review can be done without haste and as the standard becomes more
> accessible.

Although I would to see these features in Postgres early I have same
feeling. Is it a question if some features can be implemented easy and can
be merged early?

The implementation of some JSON generation functions can be easy and the
verification should not be hard. Different situation is in JSON querying
functions. Merging JSONPath in first commitfest is better.

Regards

Pavel