Re: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.

From: "David Lloyd-Jones" <david(dot)lloyd-jones(at)attcanada(dot)ca>
To: "Red Pineseed" <yue207(at)home(dot)com>, "Mike Mascari" <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.
Date: 2000-07-31 04:17:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Red Pineseed" <yue207(at)home(dot)com>. wrote:

> It looks like you don't have the user permission set up
> properly. Here is a jpg much like what you have descrbibed
> in the message. What the postmaster is not running in the
> background or the user permission is not set properly, you
> get a message like that.
>
> use the createuser command to create user and set proper
> permision and connect the db like.

Philip,

Thanks for your note. PostgreSQL starts with a default user named Postgres,
as far as I know. (Does anybody know its password? I've been assuming it's
either 'postgres' or null.)

Mike Mascari wrote:

Except that there's a difference between "Connection refused",
which is typical of the postmaster not being started with the -i
option, and "Network unreachable", which is typical of a TCP/IP
application where the kernel cannot resolve the route to the
destination host. The user never did specify the success/failure
of testing loop-back via telnet on 127.0.0.1. My bet is it didn't
work. My money's on Tom Lane.

Mike,

I did try the loopback, as I mentioned in a note to Tom (perhaps off-line,
sorry.)
Agreed, his explanation makes sense, and I'm looking for the right place to
put the -i.

Anybody know the innards of that /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
batchfile?

-dl
j.