CORBA STATUS

From: "Mark Proctor" <mail-list(at)molnir(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CORBA STATUS
Date: 1999-11-09 01:38:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

I'm currently studying for a Masters at Brunel University, London. I was
looking for a thesis and since I had an interest in Opensource development
and databases I thought that I would like to work on PGsql. As I also had
an interest in trying to understand CORBA and other related technologies it
made sense that I try and work on a project that ties PGsql and CORBA
together in some way.

Marc G. Fournier and Bruce Momjian were contacted with regards to this and
they seemed to think that there was room for me to work on this, although at
this stage I hadn't gone through the mailing list.

since then I've finally got PGsql up and working and I'm now embarking on
understand how to system actual works. I thought a good place to start with
my research would be to go through the mailing lists to try and see the
current status for development in this area. I did this for several hours
trying to get the current take on CORBA with regards to PGsql. It seems
there was a lot of initial talk back in Nov 1998 on the hackers list with
the first thoughts of some sort of CORBA implementation. The conversation
orientated over 2 main areas; which ORB and implementation methods, with
some peoples offering to work on this. It was then suggested that the
converstaion take place in the interfaces mailing list. I've since been over
some of this but find it very difficult to understand the current status
with regards to PGsql and CORBA. I've seen many references to people who
have developed
a project that allows them to work with PGsql via CORBA, but non of this
seems to be part of the main project or system. There is some reference to
Micheal Robinson working on an implementation but again I'm not sure how
this fits
in-http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-interfaces/1998-11/msg00090.html

Is there room for me to work on this project in such a way that it is
adequate for my masters. If anyone is working on this, or has a good
knowledge of the current status of the CORBA implementation for PGsql can
you please let me know, so I can know whether to get started on this or not.
The reference thread for my initial point of contact with Marc G. Fournier
and Bruce Momjian and how they think I should attack the project is -
http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1999-09/msg00076.html

Regards

Mark Proctor
email : m(dot)proctor(at)bigfoot(dot)com