Re: [HACKERS] problems recovering 6.1 db

From: Andrey V Khavryutchenko <akhavr(at)compchem(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] problems recovering 6.1 db
Date: 1998-12-31 10:39:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Thomas!

>> I have to recover old db, produced by pgsql 6.1. The binaries are lost
>> and fresh compiled postgres dumps core. Can anyone suggest the way to
>> fix the bug, so I can dump out the db and reload it to the last stable
>> postgresql version?

TGL> Out of curiosity, what platform are you running on? I've still got
TGL> v6.1 (and v6.1.1) tar files and source trees on my linux/libc5
TGL> machine, and could build binaries for you if they happen to match. Are
TGL> you *sure* you had a v6.1 installation, as opposed to a v6.1.1?

I'm running linux/libc5. And, yes, I'm not sure, that which version was
used to create db. I've tried to use 6.1.1, now I'll try to build 6.1 and
retry.

TGL> Both releases had fixes for some hashing operations, and I'll bet they
TGL> need to match exactly with your database.

TGL> Also, if your "mailingad" database is small, not confidential, and
TGL> binary compatible with my machine I could try reading it here.

Unfortunately, it's impossible. It's several hunderds megabytes and
limited access.

Thanks! If I'll fail with 6.1 too, I'll repost.

--
SY, Andrey V Khavryutchenko http://www.kbi.kiev.ua/~akhavr

Shick's Law:
There is no problem a good miracle can't solve.