Re: Full text searching?

From: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>
To: "Poul L(dot) Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
Cc: Colman Reilly <careilly(at)online(dot)thecia(dot)ie>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full text searching?
Date: 2000-11-10 00:33:56
Lists: pgsql-general

"Poul L. Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk> writes:

> I chose to use a 3rd party product (Verity) for full text indexing even
> though I would prefer to use PostgreSQL for fti.

How is the support for Danish in Verity now ?
I used Verity indirectly earlier as a plugin in to Sybase. The nice thing
about such an integration where that I could do joins between the different
Verity indexes and my regular tables.

It would have been nice if PostgreSQL had some sort of extension mechanism
to interface against external servers. Maybe an API for creating proxy
tables, so a join you do against a proxy table really forwards the request
to another service.

Then it should be doable to integrate PostgreSQL with your search engine of
choice.

> It's probably cheaper to buy a indexing server, than to develop a new
> one.

Yup.

Regards,
Gunnar