Re: Full text searching?

From: "Poul L(dot) Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
To: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>
Cc: Colman Reilly <careilly(at)online(dot)thecia(dot)ie>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full text searching?
Date: 2000-01-10 10:03:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Gunnar R|nning wrote:

> "Poul L. Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk> writes:
>
> > I chose to use a 3rd party product (Verity) for full text indexing even
> > though I would prefer to use PostgreSQL for fti.
>
> How is the support for Danish in Verity now ?

I convert the characters - e.g. ø will be converted to &oslash; When I
do a search, i just replace the search string the same way. The only
problem that could arise is when people search for the word "slash", but
I guess you could avoid searching &oslash; somehow.

> I used Verity indirectly earlier as a plugin in to Sybase. The nice thing
> about such an integration where that I could do joins between the different
> Verity indexes and my regular tables.
>
> It would have been nice if PostgreSQL had some sort of extension mechanism
> to interface against external servers. Maybe an API for creating proxy
> tables, so a join you do against a proxy table really forwards the request
> to another service.

I'd love to have an index type directly in PostegreSQL called fti which
give us full text indexing just as easily as a standard B-tree index.

When 7.1 is out, all it needs is fti to make it equal in features to MS
SQL Server ;)

Poul L. Christiansen