Re: postgresql.conf

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Jim Kunkel" <jkunkel(at)laurcat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf
Date: 2001-10-17 00:07:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jim,

> The docs suggest the file "postgresql.conf" is a method of
> configuring the db engine. I want to turn on logging. The line
> "DEBUG_PRETTY_PRINT=1" should turn on tracing. I just can't figure
> out where the file goes. The filename (postgresql.conf) doesn't seem
> to be in the sources I hunted through and if I search for it on the
> web site, I get an internal error. Can someone point me to the right
> directory? Better yet, can you point me to the spot in the
> documentation that tells me that?

Postgresql.conf is loacted in your pgsql/data directory. For example,
mine is at /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf.

However, logging usually needs to be set whough the command line which
starts postmaster. The debug levels just set what gets logged once
logging is started. There aren't good docs on this that I know of
online. Try some of the PostgreSQL books out there.

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes