Re: Loading current_user and current_timestamp using COPY

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Herb Blacker <herbblacker(at)isgenesis(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Loading current_user and current_timestamp using COPY
Date: 2001-10-09 21:33:11
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Herb,

> I'm trying to load the current_user and current timestamp (as an
> audit)
> in a set of data using the COPY FROM... statement.
> I cannot get the session_user, current_user or user to give me
> anything
> but the text itself...I even tried the obsolete getpgusername() and
> thats exactly what it entered!
>
> To get the current_timestamp, I had to use the now() function.

Hmmm ... I was under the impression that you could not use any builtin
functions with COPY. Just literals. I'm surprised that NOW() worked.

Just in case, I'm cross-posting your question to the SQL list.

Couple of suggestions for immediate workarounds:
1. If the data sets you are importing are small, use INSERT statements
instead of COPY.
2. If you are importing large amounts of data, do the following:

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533