Re: Starting Postmaster at boot

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: JWDougherty <jwd(at)softcom(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting Postmaster at boot
Date: 2001-10-09 16:03:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

John,

> Thankyou for the help. I know about the init script, but I had no
> clues as
> to where it went, what particular part of the bootup process called
> it, or
> what it should contain. I am not in a hurry. SuSE's present
> installation in
> 7.2 seems to have problems properly configuring postgresql, which is
> why I
> avoided trying to install it this time around.

Well, a quick primer on Init scripts is available with most general
Linux manuals (e.g. "Linux in a Nutshell"). However, I will tell you
that the init script supplied with the Postgres download dates back to
ver. 6.5 and doesn't work very well anymore. I've been meaning to post
my init script to TechDocs, but haven't gotten around to it.

As for SuSE, I just this morning returned an e-mail to SuSE sales about
the problem with their lag time in building YAST packages. SuSE is
hoping that with greater LSB compliance by the whole industry, this
should be less of a problem in the future. In the meantime, I recommend
compiling PostgreSQL yourself; Justin has an excellent tutorial on this
at http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ .

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes