result relation used anymore?

From: Brandon Craig Rhodes <brandon(at)oit(dot)gatech(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: result relation used anymore?
Date: 2003-02-28 18:17:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While learning how to read query trees, I have been puzzled by the
assertion in the manual that the :resultRelations of an INSERT holds
`the table (or view!) where the changes take effect,' because in all
of the INSERTs I have generated the resultRelation in fact appears
empty, and the destination of the INSERT appears as the first of the
range table entries. Do I misunderstand the query trees, or the
documentation, or both?

The documentation I quoted is at:

http://www3.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/querytree.html

--
Brandon Craig Rhodes http://www.rhodesmill.org/brandon
Georgia Tech brandon(at)oit(dot)gatech(dot)edu