Re: What is a tuple?

From: Elaine Lindelef <eel(at)cognitivity(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is a tuple?
Date: 2002-06-26 16:17:39
Lists: pgsql-general

> > A tuple is a row. Isn't this in the glossary somewhere?
>
>It's in the FAQ.

Thank you all for your help. Tuple = Row ; that makes sense.

However, I do want to assure you that I spent some time on the
postgresql.org website trying to find this information:

- What glossary? I really did look hard!

- No, it's not in the (English) FAQ. The only line about tuples is:

"5.3) How do I write a C function to return a tuple?
This requires wizardry so extreme that the authors have never
tried it, though in principle it can be done."

And, since other areas of the FAQ and documentation use "row", it's
easy to suspect that perhaps there's a different meaning for "tuple."
(I presume what really happened is that different writers happened to
prefer different vocabulary.)

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to add this to the FAQ, or make
the glossary more prominent on the site if it is explained there.

Elaine