Re: darwin pgsql patches

From: Peter Bierman <bierman(at)apple(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: darwin pgsql patches
Date: 2000-12-01 08:37:02
Lists: pgsql-patches

At 2:01 AM -0500 12/1/00, Tom Lane wrote:
>Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
>>> I'm thinking of creating a darwin_startup() called from
>>> backend/main/main.c that would check the system version and abort the
>>> startup if the system version is too old.
>
>> ... this seems to be overkill.
>
>I agree with Thomas here: platform-specific warts with a short life
>expectancy are a bad idea. We have more than enough warts already.
>We don't need to hard-wire a check that tells people running on a
>beta OS release that that beta has bugs.

I was going to say I disagree, but then I remembered that the beta has a (well documented) timebomb, so it will indeed be a moot issue eventually.

>>What sort of installation environment does
>>MacOS-X have? What will binary distros look like?

Funny you should ask, since my real job is to work on the Installer.

PG is not the kind of thing we'd make a GUI install package for, at least not yet. The PG user is going to need to use the command line to interact with it, so they might as well use it to install it. As such, binary dists would probably just be a tarball.

In other news, I just (litterally a minute ago) fixed the last issues with my port (hurray!), and the regression test passes every test except geometry, where the diffs differ in the 15th decimal digit for the last coordinate pair. Rounding error somewhere?

Do the regression tests adequately stress semaphores? Are semephores used interprocess? Do the regression tests cause this sort of use to be tested?

The only thing I'm worried about is that the regression tests simulate an artifically sequential load.

And any suggestions on how to include my sem.h?
I can send in the revised patch as soon as that's resolved.

Thanks!

-pmb

--
bierman(at)apple(dot)com

"4 out of 5 people with the wrong hardware want to run Mac OS X because..."
http://www.newertech.com/oscompatibility/osxinfo.html