Oracle sql queries

From: Russ McBride <russ(at)psyex(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Oracle sql queries
Date: 1999-12-28 21:56:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

Will any legal Oracle sql syntax work in postgresql? I'm worried about
whether tcl scripts that make sql calls to an Oracle db can be used in a
postgresql without problems. I guess that brings up two issues:

1- Is the version of sql that Oracle uses legal in postgres?
2- Even if the sql is transferrable, will Oracle's odd way of handling
dates screw up an attempt to transfer the sql calls?

On an unrelated note: how important is having a shared sql cashe,and
parallel queries for speed (which I gather postgresql doesn't have)?

Tia.

Russ