Re: [SQL] cast text as date

From: lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com (Richard Lynch)
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] cast text as date
Date: 1998-06-16 17:58:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

>At 11:14 +0300 on 16/6/98, Richard Lynch wrote:
>

>> I've never created a function of my own, and maybe that's the way to go,
>> but I'm not sure where to start...
>> The strings in question actually only have a month/year (no date), if that
>> matters (they're expirations)...
>> The resulting date can just default to 1 for the date.
>
>What version of Postgres, and what error, exactly, did it report?

ERROR: function date(text) does not exist

I don't know what version because my ISP installed it, and there seems to
be no file I can read that tells me, and postmaster -v isn't defined.

There are two postgresql directories. One is labeled 6.2.1
The other is just pgsql.

The ISP changed psql very recently to require me to use -u and an login
name and password, when they moved their software to a shiny new box, and
(I think) upgraded postgresql, if that is any help at all in identifying
the version.

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com