Re: [SQL] cast text as date

From: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
To: Richard Lynch <lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com>
Cc: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] cast text as date
Date: 1998-06-17 12:23:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Richard Lynch wrote:

> >At 11:14 +0300 on 16/6/98, Richard Lynch wrote:
> >

> >> I've never created a function of my own, and maybe that's the way to go,
> >> but I'm not sure where to start...
> >> The strings in question actually only have a month/year (no date), if that
> >> matters (they're expirations)...
> >> The resulting date can just default to 1 for the date.
> >
> >What version of Postgres, and what error, exactly, did it report?
>
> ERROR: function date(text) does not exist

Is possible convert a DATETIME into:

abstime
date
text
time

prova=> \d tab

Table = tab
+------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| Field | Type | Length|
+------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| b | datetime | 8 |
+------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

prova=> select cast(b as text) from tab;
text
----------------------
1998-12-12 00:00:00+01
(1 row)

prova=> select cast(b as date) from tab;
date
----------
1998-12-12
(1 row)

prova=> select cast(b as time) from tab;
time
--------
00:00:00
(1 row)
prova=> select cast(b as abstime) from tab;
abstime
----------------------
1998-12-12 00:00:00+01
(1 row)

> I don't know what version because my ISP installed it, and there seems to
> be no file I can read that tells me, and postmaster -v isn't defined.
>
> There are two postgresql directories. One is labeled 6.2.1
> The other is just pgsql.
>
> The ISP changed psql very recently to require me to use -u and an login
> name and password, when they moved their software to a shiny new box, and
> (I think) upgraded postgresql, if that is any help at all in identifying
> the version.

Jose'