Re: [GENERAL] Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver -- Access Order By problem solved!!!

From: lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com (Richard Lynch)
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver -- Access Order By problem solved!!!
Date: 1998-07-24 19:14:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

At 10:36 AM 7/24/98, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:
>Bruce Tong wrote:

>> Another window appeared and said "Error while executing the query. ERROR:
>> The field being ordered by must appear in the target list (#1)."
>>
>> Since I hadn't specified any sorting, the "order by" part of the message
>> had me confused. I decided to have MS Access show me the SQL it had
>> generated:

>I finally figured out what the heck is going on with this order by
>problem in MS Access. I tested your query on a computer that has older
>versions of the Microsoft Jet db engine on it and guess what? It does
>the same thing you described! The reason that I used to have the
>problem and it miraculously went away was because I installed Visual
>Basic 5.0 and it upgraded the MS Jet dll's.

FWIW:

I seldom do much more than add the tables in MS Access's <OPINION> stupid
</OPINION> query design thingy. I immediately use the menu to view SQL and
just type the SQL I want. Obviously, different folks think different ways,
and maybe you actually understand and like that MS Access point and click
interface that I hate, but I want to be sure you're at least aware that if
it sticks an ORDER BY in there that you never asked for, you can just rip
the damn thing out in the SQL view and then run the query... At least,
that's how I make it give me the SQL I really want, instead of the SQL it
thinks I want, which it never gets right anyway.

Hope that helps.

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com