Re: [GENERAL] Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver -- Access Order By problem solved!!!

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Richard Lynch <lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver -- Access Order By problem solved!!!
Date: 1998-07-24 19:43:33
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Richard Lynch wrote:

> FWIW:
>
> I seldom do much more than add the tables in MS Access's <OPINION> stupid
> </OPINION> query design thingy. I immediately use the menu to view SQL and
> just type the SQL I want. Obviously, different folks think different ways,
> and maybe you actually understand and like that MS Access point and click
> interface that I hate, but I want to be sure you're at least aware that if
> it sticks an ORDER BY in there that you never asked for, you can just rip
> the damn thing out in the SQL view and then run the query... At least,
> that's how I make it give me the SQL I really want, instead of the SQL it
> thinks I want, which it never gets right anyway.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks, I would probably agree with you, but it makes no difference if I
like it or not, its our customers who want the graphical interface and
FINALLY, we have a fix for it! They are most likely not the types who
are gonna drop down to the pound sign and type some SQL into the
monitor!

And BTW, if you look at the SQL, you wouldn't even see the ORDER BY
thing because this clause is placed on the "keyset" query, which is the
collection of keys it uses to dynamically access rows in the query
result (i.e. the Dynaset).

Actually, I understand your hate of the Microsoft thing, but I only
recently realized the benefit and power of this Jet database engine
thing that Access uses. For example, it can update the results of a
query that has several tables joined, right while your looking at the
row on the screen, automatically translating the SQL2 syntax (i.e.,
INNER JOIN ... ON ...) into standard SQL that Postgres can use.

Byron