User Authentication Failed

From: lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com (Richard Lynch)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, php3(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net
Subject: User Authentication Failed
Date: 1998-05-19 18:43:13
Lists: pgsql-general

The PostgreSQL Glimpse mailing list search thing is down.

I found some similar things in PHP's archives, but none that really seemed
applicable. I only know half the story, though, because my ISP is running
PostgreSQL and compiling PHP for me, so it's hard to play around with
options and such.

All I can say for sure is:

The php.cgi seems to work okay from the web, as far as phpinfo goes.

psql -u chat works okay, and I've granted everything to user www, and
verified that I can psql -u chat and use www as name and password and do a
select.

Is there something I need to do to "grant connect access" to user www?
I can't seem to find such a beast...

php.cgi -v reports version 3.0b6, but my ISP claimed it was an RC release...

php.cgi is owned by my login name, and when it used to be owned by root, it
had an even nastier error message about misconfiguration :-)

PostgreSQL is probably the most recent version, since it was just rebuilt,
which is what caused the trouble.

pg_Connect destructively modifies the arguments passed to it, which seems
odd to me, but I'm a lisp hacker, so what do I know?

Here's the actual error message:

Warning: Unable to connect to PostgresSQL server: User authentication
failed in /iiw/htdocs/chatmusic.com/connect.php
on line 10
Couldn't connect to database chat on port 5432 at host ruby
(Options auth=password user=www password=www tty /dev/null)

And my source code that produced it:
<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>Just Connect To PostgreSQL</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>
<?php
$host = "";
$port = 5432;
$options = "";
$tty = "";
$dbname = "chat";
$connection = pg_Connect($host, $port, $options, $tty, $dbname);
if (!$connection){
echo("Couldn't connect to database $dbname on port $port at host
$host<BR>\n");
if ($options != "" || $tty != ""){
echo("&nbsp;&nbsp;(Options $options tty $tty)<BR>\n");
}
exit;
}
else{
echo("<H1><CENTER>Successfully Connected</CENTER></H1>\n");
phpinfo();
}
?>
</BODY>
</HTML>

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com